Sunday, February 20, 2011

A couple of Nicolaus Darvas quotes about stocks are posted this week

Midweek Addendum Tuesday February 22

I sure did not like to see this drop today, but in one way of thinking it was just an overdue correction that was finally sparked by Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi clinging to power in spite of the protests and unfortunately this erupting in violence against the protesters. It is hard to see this lasting too long but likely the nimble traders decided to protect their profits with some selling. I am not a nimble trader by any means. I did have a couple of ETF's set up to sell at the market open this morning. I was not happy with the opening price but by the end of the day the prices were much lower.

What will happen tomorrow, could be more of the same, could be a recovery as traders try to pick up some of the low prices of today. I sure don’t know, but we will know soon enough and logically in time the Market will continue its move upward

Trying to find some good news the Dow was at least going the right direction by the end of the day

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^DJI+Basic+Chart&t=1d
 


Nicolas Darvas was a world famous dancer years ago that built a fortune in the Market ...starting with very little capital and executing trades while he traveled via telegraph. A couple of quotes are:

1. I  must not fall in love with stocks when they rise, I must not get angry when they fall

2. Keep rigidly to the investing rules you carve out for yourself 

The quotes are not verbatim, but they are helpful reminders..at least for me

 

The Market continues to shrug off the Middle East unrest...other than Oil Still Rules, perhaps this is a result of the unrest

Copernicus Systems continues to be clear about being to be long in the Market for again another week.I again saw many stock of interest until I looked closely at the charts which seem to be a little paused. Some that will be investigated further are:

BMC 

JNPR

DD

IBD continues to seem to agree citing "Market in Confirmed Uptrend"

My "Stocks for a Trade" are:

KLAC up 8.34 %

CMG  up 5.28 %

EMC up 10.17 %

AAPL   up 10.59%....I am getting a little worried about its recent direction but hopefully it will resume its upward trend soon

The highly leveraged ETF's for a trade:

BGU  up 3.35%

FAS up 1.75%

SOXL up 20.77 %   ....Guess I need to follow the rules on this one ...at least take some off the table

For normal ETF's, (Exchange Traded Funds), I still have both  OIH and XLE. and  XLF these continue to look fine.


I was able to do some work on Dividend Stocks, hope to post the early results soon. I really need to do some portfolio reorganization and clean up....it is a mess. The blog is helping me make better investments (or the rising tide  is just lifting all ships) now I just need to manage things better


Markets closed tomorrow in honor of President's Day. Hope you have a great week

No comments:

Post a Comment