Sunday, April 14, 2013

Anchors Away! Trio Added




For the week, the Dow jumped 2.06 percent, the S&P 500 rallied 2.29 percent, and the Nasdaq soared 2.84 percent…..all of this even with a little stutter on Friday after some negative economic reports.

However the strength of the market was seen with all key S&P sectors up for the week, led by consumer discretionary spending and health care.

We still have the sabre rattling in North Korea, but it seems to be pretty much ignored by the markets…and I hope the market’s vision proves to be correct and the issue soon fades entirely.

This week instead of adding Yahoo as planned, I took initial positions in what I am calling the Old Tech Trio. 

This is consists of the great: Intel, Microsoft and Cisco. The Trio has been left behind in recent markets gains…deservedly so? I think not. These former darlings may have lost their sizzle but they are now just great profitable companies that are just making money and churning out nice dividends. 

With many foreign investors looking for safety in US markets, in particular in profitable dividend paying companies, what could be better than the Old Tech Trio? Will these companies reinvent themselves as IBM has done and Dell hopes to do…perhaps, but even if they do not they should still have many profitable years ahead. I can’t say that I have a definite plan for the Trio, but I hope to remember I should be patient and give them a little time and be satisfied with the dividend while I wait.

What did I see in my weekend review?

The 10-yr Treasury yield is at 1.72

IBD (Investor Business Daily): Has quickly returned to Confirmed Uptrend

Copernicus Systems: Long and it was nice to see MSFT, INTC and CSCO rising in the rankings, even though they are now at the low end of the scale.

Moneys Flows:  All positive, 2/3 still trending down, but this is an improvement over last week

Currently my "Stocks for a Trade" now consists of:
(All gains or losses shown are the total since purchase)
RGR -.43% now recovering
GILD  +19.90% so good to see this…and still very strong.
JCOM  sold

ETF’s for a trade are:
GLD  -5.09%
EWA  sold
IWM  -.49%
EFA  +2.56%
IBB   +7.18%   I like this Biotech ETF
EWJ +6.02%, rising due to Japan pumping money into their economy, deflating their currency ….result is expected to increase their exports. (Where did they learn this?)

Old Tech Trio:
INTC    +.04 % (with 4.2% yield)
MSFT   -.13% (with 3.2% yield)
CISCO  +.86% (with 3.2% yield)

What will I do?

I like what I see in EWW (Mexico), but I would also like to  add to existing position, not sure which ones yet or when, perhaps if we get a drop

I hope you have a wonderful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment