Sunday, January 1, 2012

Adios 2011 and Hola 2012

First how did the markets do in 2011?

For the year, the Dow fared best with a 5.5% gain. The S&P 500 finished roughly unchanged for 2011, while the Nasdaq retreated 1.8%. So to summarize... not much.

I have not yet begun to see how I did for 2011, but not very well.

Hopefully 2012 will be more fruitful. Being a momentum investor I do better when the market is moving up. Many are pointing to the market to be headed down until a mid-year low-point, others think it will be at a low point just before the elections. But most seem to think after these low points we will begin to rally. Regular readers will know that I try not to make predictions but try to focus on what the market is doing now. Even that has been difficult enough  recently.

Trading:
I will still be watching for  VZ to cycle, but it has been a busy time and I have not watched it very well.
I still hold  SDS and REW however I recognize the need to not ride these too far south.

So what did I see in my weekend review?
The 10-yr Treasury yield is now at 1.87 %, no trend here, just flipping back and forth.
IBD (Investor Business Daily) continues with: Market in Confirmed Up Trend.

Copernicus Systems continues to show to be long in the market.

Money flows are now slumping slightly and so are the portfolio prices.

HHH is still headed down in the rankings so the entry made into   
REW may yet prove fruitful (the leveraged inverse of technology)

Stock and ETF’s that looks interesting in the Copernicus rankings are all biotech or health related:IBB, BBH, BMY, PFE and AMGN.

What will I do?
Continue to Wait.

Currently my "Stocks for a Trade" now consists of:
(All gains or losses shown are the total since purchase)

AAPL  13.66%,  - .29%
ETF’s for a trade are:
GLD -11.77%, 12.56%
SDS -10.81%, -4.78%
REW -.60%, -3.59%
I hope you have a good week and a prosperous new year


No comments:

Post a Comment